Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Regular exercise in natural environments improves both physical and mental health.

There is no doubt about it. Kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, etc. makes me feel better. I look forward to the opportunity to get out into nature and move my body because it makes me feel great both physically and mentally. While the physical benefits of exercise are well studied and undisputed, the mental benefits of exercise are now being realized. As it happens, where you exercise may be as important as how much you exercise. Increasingly science is showing that exerciseing in nature is far better than going to the gym. Certainly, the more I study the human machine, the more I realize that we are meant to close to nature. We are not simply sitting on this planet, we are part of it. It seems the further people drift from the real world into the virtual world, the less happy and fulfilled they become.
Sunrise at Can 19. Extra Credit For the one who can tell me the Latitude and Longitude

Now a new study out of Scotland is supporting the belief that being in nature does a body (and mind) good. According to the recently published study by the University of Glasgow (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.04.012), regular exercise in a natural environment may cut the risk of suffering from poor mental health by half.
Researchers at the University of Glasgow studied exercisers in both a natural and non-natural environments. They found regular use of natural environments such as forests and parks seemed to enhance mental well being, while going to a gym. . . not so much. This study joins a growing body of evidence that exercise in natural environments has a positive effect on biomarkers and self-reports of stress, on mood and reported levels of fatigue.
Lead researcher, Professor Richard Mitchell of the Centre for Research on Environment, Society and Health, said: “I wasn’t surprised by the findings that exercise in natural environments is good for your mental health, but I was surprised by just how much better it is for your mental health to exercise in a green place like a forest, than in other places like the gym.”
See, I do more than just kayak. I mountain climb too! 
“Woodlands and parks seemed to have the greatest effect, so the message to doctors, planners and policy makers is that these places need protecting and promoting.”
“The results suggest that making the decision to exercise in a natural environment just once a week could be enough to gain a benefit. Any additional use may have a bigger effect.”



As for me, one way I get the most out of my morning commune with nature is to meditate. As I paddle, I work hard to be totally present. I focus on my breathing and my experience in the moment. I don't let my thoughts wander and I DON'T think about my to-do list. 

The study revealed that local roads were the environment most commonly used regularly for physical activity, followed by home/garden. One of the limitations of the study is that it did not record the type, duration or intensity of activity conducted in each environment but other studies have shown that simply walking outside has a profound effect on mental and physical health. If walking is not your thing, meet me at the beach before sunrise and I will be glad to introduce you to my workout buddies. The seagulls, ducks, herons, cormorants and an occasional harbor seal.  Be Well! - Doc Russ 

No comments:

Post a Comment